Equifax Class Action Settlement Claim 2024
Equifax, one of the largest credit reporting agencies in the US, suffered a massive data breach in 2017 that exposed the personal information of 147 million people. As a result, the company agreed to a global settlement with the Federal Trade Commission, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and 50 US states and territories.
The settlement includes up to $425 million to help people affected by the data breach. However, the deadline to file a claim and receive the benefits is fast approaching. In this article, we will explain everything you need to know about the Equifax class action settlement claim 2024, including:
- How to check if you are eligible for the settlement
- What benefits you can claim and how much you can get
- How to file a claim online or by mail
- How to check the status of your claim and payment
- What to do if you have any questions or issues with your claim
How to Check If You Are Eligible for the Settlement
The first step to claim the settlement benefits is to check if you are eligible. You are a class member and eligible for the settlement if:
- Your personal information was impacted by the Equifax data breach that occurred between May 13, 2017 and July 30, 2017. You can use the look-up tool on the official settlement website to confirm if you were affected by the breach.
- You are a US citizen or resident who had a credit report with Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion at any time between May 13, 2017 and September 7, 2017.
If you meet these criteria, you can file a claim for the settlement benefits.
What Benefits You Can Claim and How Much You Can Get
The settlement benefits include:
- Free credit monitoring services for up to 10 years, or a cash payment of up to $125 if you already have credit monitoring services.
- Cash reimbursement for out-of-pocket losses or time spent as a result of the data breach, up to $20,000 per person.
- Free identity restoration services for up to 7 years, if you discover misuse of your personal information due to the data breach.
The amount of cash payment you can get depends on how many valid claims are submitted by other class members. Based on the number of potentially valid claims that have been submitted to date, payments for time spent and alternative compensation of up to $125 likely will be substantially lowered and will be distributed on a proportional basis. Depending on the number of valid claims filed, the amount you receive may be a small percentage of your initial claim.
How to File a Claim Online or by Mail
The deadline to file a claim for the initial claims period passed on January 22, 2020. However, you can still file a claim for the extended claims period, which runs until January 22, 2024. You can file a claim for expenses you incur between January 23, 2020 and January 22, 2024, as a result of identity theft or fraud related to the breach, such as:
- Losses from unauthorized charges to your accounts
- Fees you paid to professionals, like accountants or attorneys, to help you recover from identity theft
- Other expenses you incurred while recovering from identity theft, like notary fees, document shipping fees, postage, mileage, and phone charges.
You can also file a claim for the time you spent recovering from identity theft or fraud between January 23, 2020 and January 22, 2024. You can be compensated up to $25 per hour up to 20 hours. There are limited funds available so your claim may be reduced.
To file a claim, you can either:
- File online on the official settlement website. You will need to provide your personal information, select the benefits you are claiming, and upload any supporting documents.
- File by mail by downloading and printing the claim form. You will need to fill out the form, attach any supporting documents, and mail it to the settlement administrator at the address provided on the form.
You can file only one claim per person, but you can update or amend your claim if you have new or additional information.
How to Check the Status of Your Claim and Payment
After you file a claim, you will receive a confirmation email or letter with a claim number. You can use this claim number to check the status of your claim and payment on the official settlement website.
The settlement administrator will review your claim and contact you if they need any additional information or documentation. If your claim is approved, you will receive your benefits in the method you chose – by check, prepaid card, or PayPal payment.
The settlement became final in January 2020, and the settlement administrator began sending out payments for out-of-pocket losses, time spent claims, and other cash benefits in mid-December 2022. If you requested free credit monitoring, you will receive an activation code with instructions by email or mail.
What to Do If You Have Any Questions or Issues With Your Claim
If you have any questions or issues with your claim, you can contact the settlement administrator by:
- Calling the toll-free number 1-833-759-2982
- Emailing info@EquifaxBreachSettlement.com
- Writing to Equifax Data Breach Settlement Administrator, c/o JND Legal Administration, P.O. Box 91318, Seattle, WA 98111-9418
You can also visit the official settlement website for more information and FAQs about the settlement.
The Equifax data breach settlement is a historic case that affects millions of people in the US. If you are one of them, you may be eligible for various benefits, including free credit monitoring, cash reimbursement, and identity restoration services.
However, you need to act fast and file a claim before the deadline of January 22, 2024. You can file a claim online or by mail, and check the status of your claim and payment on the official settlement website.
Don’t miss this opportunity to get the compensation you deserve for the harm caused by the Equifax data breach. File your claim today and protect your identity and credit for the future.
If you found this article helpful, please share it with your friends and family who may also be affected by the Equifax data breach. You can also subscribe to our blog for more tips and advice on how to protect your personal and financial information online. Thank you for reading!
Hi, I’m deoravijendra, a professional content writer and digital marketer with 5 years of SEO experience. I’m passionate about crafting compelling content and optimizing online presence for maximum impact.