Kayak Point Regional Park is one of the most popular parks in Snohomish County, Washington. It offers a variety of outdoor activities, such as camping, fishing, picnicking, and hiking, along its 3,300-foot shoreline and evergreen forest. The park also features a yurt village, a playground, and a pier that is usually used for fishing and crabbing.
However, the park has been closed since October 2023 for a major renovation project that aims to improve its accessibility, safety, and sustainability. The project involves upgrading the park’s infrastructure, such as the restrooms, picnic shelters, parking areas, and boat launch. It also includes building a new pier that will be more resilient to storms and erosion.
The good news is that the park is planned to reopen for a temporary period from July 1 to October 15, 2024, after most of the Phase 1 construction is complete. During this time, visitors will be able to enjoy the park’s amenities, including the new boat launch and parking areas. However, there are some things that visitors should be aware of before heading to the park.
What Will Be Open?
According to the Snohomish County Parks Department, the following areas and facilities will be open during the temporary reopening period:
- Beach, trails, parking, restrooms
- Picnic shelters (reservations open March 1)
- New boat launch
- Overflow parking
What Will Be Closed?
The following areas and facilities will be closed during the temporary reopening period:
- Pier (no access)
- No fishing/crabbing from pier
- Not all ADA amenities are constructed yet in the interim phase
The pier will remain closed the entire summer, as the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife requires in-water construction for the new pier during the summer months, when work is least likely to impact aquatic life. The new pier is expected to be completed by spring 2025.
What Will Be Different?
Visitors should also expect some changes and inconveniences during the temporary reopening period, such as:
- New traffic patterns – pay attention to all signs
- The picnic shelters will be available (online reservations open March 1)
- New boat launch lane, queuing lane, boarding float, trailer parking, tie-down areas
- Pier construction may impact noise and traffic
The park is still in an interim stage during construction that will continue during the summer. Therefore, visitors should be patient and respectful of the park staff and contractors who are working hard to make the park better for everyone.
How to Plan Your Visit?
If you are planning to visit Kayak Point Regional Park during the temporary reopening period, here are some tips to make your trip more enjoyable and hassle-free:
- Check the park’s website⁶ for the latest updates and information on the renovation project and the temporary reopening period.
- Make a reservation for the picnic shelters online² starting from March 1, as they may fill up quickly during the summer months.
- Bring your own fishing and crabbing equipment, as the pier will be closed and there will be no rentals available at the park.
- Be prepared for possible delays and detours due to the construction activities and traffic around the park.
- Follow the park rules and regulations, and respect the natural environment and wildlife.
- Have fun and enjoy the park’s beauty and recreation opportunities!
Kayak Point Regional Park is a well-loved park that provides a rich setting for a variety of outdoor activities that both residents and visitors enjoy. The park is undergoing a major renovation project that will increase its accessibility, safety, and sustainability. The park is planned to reopen for a temporary period from July 1 to October 15, 2024, after most of the Phase 1 construction is complete. Visitors will be able to enjoy the park’s amenities, including the new boat launch and parking areas, but they should also be aware of the areas and facilities that will be closed and the changes and inconveniences that may occur during the temporary reopening period. Visitors should also check the park’s website for the latest updates and information, and plan their visit accordingly.
We hope this blog article has given you some useful information and tips on what to expect when Kayak Point Regional Park reopens in summer 2024. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. We would love to hear from you!
Hi, I’m deoravijendra, a professional content writer and digital marketer with 5 years of SEO experience. I’m passionate about crafting compelling content and optimizing online presence for maximum impact.